The River Oaks Blossom Club collection contains material dating from the Club's inception in 1939 through 2004. The collection is divided into three series: Yearbooks, Administrative, and Photographs. The Yearbooks and Photographs are arranged chronologically. The Administrative series is arranged chronologically, then alphabetically.
Open for research.
Special Collections owns the physical items in our collections, but copyright normally belongs to the creator of the materials or their heirs. The researcher has full responsibility for determining copyright status, obtaining permission to publish from copyright holders, and abiding by current copyright laws when publishing or displaying copies of Special Collections material in print or electronic form. For more information, consult the appropriate librarian. Reproduction decisions will be made by Special Collections staff on a case-by-case basis.
3.00 Linear Feet
The River Oaks Blossom Club was organized in 1939 by a group of River Oaks women who felt the area needed a third garden club. The Club promotes gardening as both an enjoyable social activity and one that benefits the community. The Club meets monthly, October through May, at members' houses to plan activities and conduct Club business. Guest speakers at the monthly meetings have included experts on local and state horticulture. The Club also participates in field trips and provides tours through members' gardens. The Blossom Club's main activity each year is the annual flower show in May at the home of a member. Each show has a particular theme, such as First Ladies or International. In addition to the meetings and flower show, the Blossom Club also promotes civic responsibility. Members have donated their time and gardening talents to local hospitals and nursing homes by preparing decorated Christmas trees, cookie jars, and stamped cards. Although not included in the collection, the Blossom Club has received certificates for its cooperation during World War II with the USO, the Red Cross, the Bond Drive, and the Victory Vegetable Gardens.
Donated by River Oaks Blossom Club, 2000.
Part of the University of Houston Libraries Special Collections Repository