The papers of Edison Ellsworth Oberholtzer contain employment contracts, information relating to the University of Houston, photographs, newspapers, certificates, and diplomas. Dr. Oberholtzer's papers are arranged in five series. The collection contains material dating from 1905 to 1967. A few of the photographs may precede 1905. Most of the material was obtained from Richard A. Walker in January 2003. Mr. Walker is a Professor of Geography at the University of California, Berkeley, and a grand nephew of Dr. Oberholtzer.
Open for research.
Special Collections owns the physical items in our collections, but copyright normally belongs to the creator of the materials or their heirs. The researcher has full responsibility for determining copyright status, obtaining permission to publish from copyright holders, and abiding by current copyright laws when publishing or displaying copies of Special Collections material in print or electronic form. For more information, consult the appropriate librarian. Reproduction decisions will be made by Special Collections staff on a case-by-case basis.
Requests for permission to publish material from the collection should be discussed with the University Archivist.
5.00 Linear Feet
Edison Ellsworth Oberholtzer began his career as a school teacher in rural Indiana. He served as Superintendent of Tulsa public schools from 1913 to 1923 and Superintendent of the Houston Independent School District from 1924 to 1927. With the formation of the Houston Junior College in 1927, Oberholtzer was named president. Oberholtzer remained president through the change from a two-year to a four-year institution in 1934. In 1945 Senate Bill (SB) 207 passed, giving the authority to the Board of Education of HISD to divorce the management of the University of Houston from the public schools. E.E. Oberholtzer was named as president and continued in that capacity until his retirement in 1950.
Oberholtzer received his bachelors and master's degrees from the University of Chicago and his doctorate from Columbia University in 1934.
Part of the University of Houston Libraries Special Collections Repository