Texas Optometric Association Records
This collection contains five series: The TOA President Correspondence, Executive Secretary Correspondence, TOA Committee Correspondence, TOA Administration, and Audio Tapes. Material includes correspondence, memoranda, meetings, newspaper clippings, reports, audio tapes and other administrative material. The collection is arranged chronologically within each series, dating from 1950 to 1999, adhering as much as possible to the original order.
- Majority of material found within 1954-1990
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Special Collections owns the physical items in our collections, but copyright normally belongs to the creator of the materials or their heirs. The researcher has full responsibility for determining copyright status, obtaining permission to publish from copyright holders, and abiding by current copyright laws when publishing or displaying copies of Special Collections material in print or electronic form. For more information, consult the appropriate librarian. Reproduction decisions will be made by Special Collections staff on a case-by-case basis.
6.0 linear feet
Founded in 1900, The Texas Optometric Association (TOA) represents more than 1200 doctors of optometry, optometry students, and optometric technicians across the State of Texas. Originally, the organization was name the Texas Optical Association, later named the Texas Optometric Association. The TOA began organizing local societies in 1943. In 1987, it had 972 members and 21 local societies. TOA offers a variety of services including job referral, continuing education courses, insurance, travel benefits, periodicals, and meeting and conference opportunities. The Texas Optometric Association has been an essential advocate for Texas optometrists and has maintained its headquarters in Austin since 1951.
With the promise of substantial financial assistance from TOA pledges, the University of Houston College of Optometry, became the tenth optometry school in the nation, in 1952. At that time, the university was a private school, but in 1963, it became a state-supported college. Today UHCO is one of only 17 optometry schools in the United States. The institution offers a four-year program of instruction and clinical experience for the Doctor of Optometry degree. It also offers M.S. and Ph.D. degree programs in physiological optics for those who plan careers in research or teaching. By 1987, it had awarded 23 Ph.D. degrees, 34 M.S. degrees, and more than 1,500 O.D. degrees.
- Guide to the Texas Optometric Association Records
- Chinh Doan
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the University of Houston Libraries Special Collections Repository
University of Houston Libraries Special Collections
MD Anderson Library
4333 University Drive
Houston TX 77204-2000 USA