Bauer College of Business Records
These records contain 7 boxes relating to the C.T. Bauer College of Business at the University of Houston. A significant portion of this material was given to the archives from the university Print Plant. Materials include course information, event programs and flyers, posters, invitations, report, correspondence and stationary. Also included in this collection is a Publications series that includes reports, manuals, surveys, newsletters, and conference material. This collection is arranged chronologically and alphabetically as necessary. Material ranges in date from the 1940’s to 2010.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Special Collections owns the physical items in our collections, but copyright normally belongs to the creator of the materials or their heirs. The researcher has full responsibility for determining copyright status, obtaining permission to publish from copyright holders, and abiding by current copyright laws when publishing or displaying copies of Special Collections material in print or electronic form. For more information, consult the appropriate librarian. Reproduction decisions will be made by Special Collections staff on a case-by-case basis.
7.0 linear feet
The College of Business was established in 1942.  Originally called the College of Business Administration, classes were held at the Downtown School and later at the University’s main campus. During WWII the College of Business Administration and Arts and Sciences collaborated in one of the institutions first interdisciplinary programs, Emergency Science-Management War Training, or ESMWT. Hundreds of civilian trainees were taught on campus and at the Downtown School in this program, which combined instruction in chemistry and business management. 
Upon seeing the necessity of a business school in Houston, many have given their time and money to seeing that the College of Business continues to be a valuable part of the University. On September 28, 1958 Jesse H. Jones gave a large sum of money for the construction of the Heyne Building, a much needed facility for the then rapidly expanding college.  On September 15, 1986, LeRoy and Lucile Melcher donated $3 million to the College of Business Administration. Melcher Hall, named in their honor, is home to the Dean and all programs and institutes of the College of Business. 
In 2000 the college was re-named after C.T. Bauer who made a $40 million gift to the school. Today, the Bauer College has 63 full-time faculty with diverse backgrounds and major publications, and over 60 teaching assistants and adjunct faculty from the corporate community who teach and conduct research. The college offers degrees in Accounting, Management Information Systems, Supply Chain Management, Finance, Management, Marketing, Entrepreneurship, and MBA, and several certification programs. Bauer’s home at the UH in one of the world’s most global cities attracts students from 139 countries – making it the single most diverse business school in the United States. 
 UH Through Time: Colleges, available from http://info.lib.uh.edu/sca/digital/time/index.html. 12 August 2009.
 Patrick J. Nicholson, In Time: An Anecdotal History of the First Fifty Years of the University of Houston (Houston, TX: Pacesetter Press, 1977), 220.
 Patrick J. Nicholson, In Time: An Anecdotal History of the First Fifty Years of the University of Houston (Houston, TX: Pacesetter Press, 1977), 404.
 UH Through Time: People, available from http://info.lib.uh.edu/sca/digital/time/index.html. 12 August 2009.
 Our School, available from http://www.bauer.uh.edu. 12 August 2009.
- Guide to the Bauer College of Business Records
- Stephanie Malone, Toshia Miracle, Mikaela Selley, and Bobby Marlin
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the University of Houston Libraries Special Collections Repository
University of Houston Libraries Special Collections
MD Anderson Library
4333 University Drive
Houston TX 77204-2000 USA