Hines College of Architecture Records
This collection contains records relating to the Hines College of Architecture at the University of Houston. A significant portion of this material was given to the archives from the University Print Plant. Records include course information, promotional material, invitations, correspondence, reports, faculty writings, publications, commencement programs, and stationery. The collection is arranged chronologically and alphabetically as necessary. Material ranges in date from the 1940s to 2009. In addition, the collection includes more than 80 posters, many of which were produced in-house by students, faculty, and staff. An additional box of records transferred from the Architecture and Art Library is not yet fully processed.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Special Collections owns the physical items in our collections, but copyright normally belongs to the creator of the materials or their heirs. The researcher has full responsibility for determining copyright status, obtaining permission to publish from copyright holders, and abiding by current copyright laws when publishing or displaying copies of Special Collections material in print or electronic form. For more information, consult the appropriate librarian. Reproduction decisions will be made by Special Collections staff on a case-by-case basis.
5.0 linear feet
Architecture first appeared at the university in the 1945-1946 school year. Then it was a two-year program offered through the College of Technology. In 1946, both architecture and architectural engineering were being offered within the College of Engineering. While the study of architecture remained within the College of Engineering through the 1955-1956 school year, a "new plan" for architectural training was initiated in the fall of 1950. This plan integrated all phases of architectural instruction in four channels: design, construction, aesthetics, and graphics. The School of Architecture began in the fall of 1956 and in the fall of 1961 it became the College of Architecture.
In March of 1997 Gerald D. Hines donated $7 million to the College of Architecture at the University of Houston. In honor of the gift, the school was renamed the Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture. The gift was by far the largest ever received by the architecture school and among the 10 largest gifts received by UH.
Today, the study of architecture at the University of Houston is focused on design as the fundamental, essential activity of the discipline. As a public college of architecture located in a major urban setting, the college is able to take advantage of the numerous cultural, professional and industrial resources of the fourth largest city in America. With its unique form and vitality, Houston provides an exceptional laboratory for exploring problems and potentials of contemporary society.
Hines College of Architecture Posters digital collection
- Guide to the Hines College of Architecture Records
- Stephanie Malone, Karen Jordan, Toshia Miracle, Mikaela Selley, and Bobby Marlin
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the University of Houston Libraries Special Collections Repository
University of Houston Libraries Special Collections
MD Anderson Library
4333 University Drive
Houston TX 77204-2000 USA