These records contain 2 boxes and 1 oversize folder relating to the University of Houston Law Center. A significant portion of this material was given to the archives from the university Print Plant. Material includes certificates, registration material, correspondence, course information, event programs and flyers, reports, newsletters, stationary, and published material. This collection is arranged alphabetically by department, program, or subject title. Material ranges in date from the 1930s to 2009.
Open for research.
The material in this collection is in the public domain.
3.0 Linear Feet
Officially opened in 1947 with 28 students and one professor, the Law Center has seen many changes. In 1950 the Bates College of Law moved from temporary classrooms to the basement of the M.D. Anderson Library. Full accreditation from the American Bar Association came on February 24, 1953.  Ground was broken for the current facility, consisting of three buildings, in 1969. When it became obvious that additional funds were needed to complete the Bates College of Law a grant of $400,000 was made available. Krost Hall, part of the UH Law Center, was named in honor of this grant.
Today, the primary objective of the Law Center is to provide a context for excellence in legal education and research. It seeks to provide broad, but intensive, training in the legal profession with students exposed to a variety of perspectives on law and legal systems. Students are expected to develop familiarity with contemporary law and the legal skills necessary to function as competent, ethical professionals. The Law Center emphasizes neither a theoretical nor a practical view of law, but believes that both are integral to legal education.
During the 1990s, the Law Center experienced dramatic qualitative and quantitative growth. The student body consists of more than 1,000 individuals drawn from all parts of the country in a highly competitive admissions program. Many law students have graduate degrees or professional recognition in other disciplines. The student body's quality, professional achievement, geographic origin, and ethnic diversity represent strengths of the Law Center. These strengths result in placement of graduates in major law firms in Houston and throughout the country.
Instruction is conducted primarily by full-time law faculty. Many are nationally recognized experts in fields such as health law, intellectual property law, international law, energy law, environmental law, commercial law, family law, Constitutional law and tax law. The faculty is supported by a select group of adjunct professors from the Houston bar, one of the major legal communities in the country. This combined faculty offers a broad range of professional experience and expertise.
 Patrick J. Nicholson, In Time: An Anecdotal History of the First Fifty Years of the University of Houston (Houston, TX: Pacesetter Press, 1977), 277.
 UH Through Time: Colleges, available from http://info.lib.uh.edu/sca/digital/time/index.html. 12 August 2009.
Part of the University of Houston Libraries Special Collections Repository