These records contain 10 boxes relating to the Cullen College of Engineering at the University of Houston. A significant portion of this material was given to the archives from the university Print Plant. Material includes event programs and flyers, co-op program material, newsletters, brochures, correspondence, stationary, course lectures, and published material. Included in this collection are the following series: General Information, Mechanical Engineering NASA Class Lectures, and Publications. This collection is arranged alphabetically by department title, and chronologically as necessary. Class lectures are arranged alphabetically while published material is arranged chronologically. Material ranges in date from the 1940s to 2009.
Open for research.
Special Collections owns the physical items in our collections, but copyright normally belongs to the creator of the materials or their heirs. The researcher has full responsibility for determining copyright status, obtaining permission to publish from copyright holders, and abiding by current copyright laws when publishing or displaying copies of Special Collections material in print or electronic form. For more information, consult the appropriate librarian. Reproduction decisions will be made by Special Collections staff on a case-by-case basis.
10.0 Linear Feet
The Department of Engineering was formed in 1934 with the chartering of the University, and in the school year 1939-1940 it became one of the most popular departments in the University. During the first long-term on their new campus, 397 students took engineering courses in the new air-cooled Roy Gustav Cullen Memorial Building. This was approximately one-seventh of the enrollment of the University at the time. 
In the fall of 1947, the University of Houston established the Co-op Program. The primary purpose of the Co-operative Program was to help students gain practical experience and to supplement their studies in either the Engineering or Business schools. This program still exists today under the name Co-operative Education. 
Mr. and Mrs. H.R. Cullen had been the principal benefactors of the University and, in particular, the College of Engineering for many years. In 1958 there was a great deal of sentiment expressed to change the name of the University to Cullen University. The Cullens refused the honor since they felt that its identity and its role with respect to the community would be affected. Their name was therefore given to the College of Engineering. 
One year after the official name change, a Building Dedication Ceremony was held for the brand new Cullen College of Engineering Building on May 3, 1968. This ceremony included the unveiling of a framed portrait of H. R. Cullen which still hangs today. 
The University of Houston Cullen College of Engineering is accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology. Today, more than 2,600 students are enrolled in engineering courses—1,840 undergraduates, 78 post-baccalaureates, 725 masters and doctoral students in biomedical, chemical, civil, computer, electrical, environmental, industrial, and mechanical engineering. The college also offers graduate programs in aerospace, environmental, industrial power systems, materials, and petroleum engineering. Chemical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering have ranked among the top programs nationally. 
 “University of Houston Department of Engineering 1940-1941” pamphlet (box 1, folder 1)
 “The Co-Operative Division April 14, 1948” (box 1, folder 2)
 “A History of Engineering” by William J. Leach (box 1, folder 5)
 “Cullen College of Engineering Building Dedication” program (box 1, folder 5)
 College Facts, available from www.egr.uh.edu. 12 August 2009.
Part of the University of Houston Libraries Special Collections Repository