The collection is housed in 5 boxes and organized in 10 series: Organizational Information; The Delphian Society Manuals; Special Projects; Correspondence; Bit-O-News Newsletters; Photographic Material; Publicity Clippings; Delphian Memorial Scholarship Fund; Delphian Chapters’ Scrapbooks and Houston Delphian Assembly Scrapbooks. These series document the organization’s operations, numerous social events and scholarship fund information.
Open for research.
Special Collections owns the physical items in our collections, but copyright normally belongs to the creator of the materials or their heirs. The researcher has full responsibility for determining copyright status, obtaining permission to publish from copyright holders, and abiding by current copyright laws when publishing or displaying copies of Special Collections material in print or electronic form. For more information, consult the appropriate librarian. Reproduction decisions will be made by Special Collections staff on a case-by-case basis.
5.0 Linear Feet
The Houston Assembly of Delphian Chapters is an organization for women, which has three-fold purpose. It is dedicated to intellectual enrichment, social enhancement, and philanthropic endeavors. Founded in Houston in 1924, it is one of the oldest clubs for women in the greater metropolitan area. The organization has continued uninterrupted through wars, recessions, and most importantly, the changing role of women in society.
The organization is known for hosting a wide range of social functions, including an annual gala, luncheons, style shows, cultural events, and tours. The proceeds fund scholarships to area undergraduate students at the University of Houston. In addition, Delphian chapters meet in small discussion groups guided by seminar material focused on specific topics. Such a meeting structure illustrates the importance placed on enriching intellect by the Houston Assembly of Delphian Chapters.
Donated by Houston Delphian Assembly on July 27, 2008.
Part of the University of Houston Libraries Special Collections Repository