Professor John Q. Anderson was born in Wheeler County, Texas May 30, 1916. He received his A.B. from Oklahoma State University in 1939, his M.A. from Louisiana State University in 1948, and his Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina in 1952. His World War II tour of duty included time spent in England, France, and Germany.
Professor Anderson held teaching positions at the University of Texas, University of North Carolina, and McNeese State College before his 1953 appointment as Instructor at Texas A & M University, where he was Assistant Professor, 1954-1956; Associate Professor, 1956-1959; Professor, 1959-1962; and Department Head, 1962-1966. In 1966 he became Professor of American literature at the University of Houston and went on disability leave May 13, 1974.
Active in professional and learned societies, he was president of the Texas Folklore Society and the American Studies Association of Texas, which named him its first Distinguished Fellow in Houston on November 16, 1974.
Professor Anderson was author of more than 70 articles and books. Some of his books included Brokenburn: The Journal of Kate Stone, 1861-1868 (1955), A Texas Surgeon in the C.S.A. (1957), Louisiana Swamp Doctor: The Life and Writings of Henry Clay Lewis (1962), Tales of Frontier Texas (1966), John C. Duval, First Texas Man of Letters (1967), With the Bark On: Popular Humor of the Old South (1967), Campaigning with Parson's Texas Cavalry Brigade, C.S.A. (1967), Texas Folk Medicine (1970), and The Liberating Gods: Emerson on Poets and Poetry (1971).
Dr. John Q. Anderson, Professor Emeritus of English, died February 19, 1975, following a long illness.