The collection consists of two series: Greater Houston Convention & Visitors Council and Ephemera. The first series contains organizational materials for the GHCVC and is broken into ten sub-series. The second series contains materials related to the city of Houston and the state of Texas and is divided into six sub-series.
Majority of material found within 1983-1988
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Special Collections owns the physical items in our collections, but copyright normally belongs to the creator of the materials or their heirs. The researcher has full responsibility for determining copyright status, obtaining permission to publish from copyright holders, and abiding by current copyright laws when publishing or displaying copies of Special Collections material in print or electronic form. For more information, consult the appropriate librarian. Reproduction decisions will be made by Special Collections staff on a case-by-case basis.
Marianita Paddock worked with the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Council and assembled many of the documents in this collection. Other materials in this collection including ephemera were collected by her parents, Mildred and Harold Paddock.
From 1930 to 1962, the Houston Chamber of Commerce maintained a Convention department and during the 1950’s the organization developed a tourism program for the city of Houston. In 1962 the department aided in bringing 308 conventions and nearly two hundred thousand delegates to the city, which pumped over $19 million into the Houston-area economy.
With the opening of the Astrodome and future plans for a Livestock Show facility, Houston had the ability to entertain major conventions and trade shows.
As the volume of tourism increased in Houston, mainly around coastal attractions, as well as the Astrodome and the Manned Spacecraft Center, the Chamber of Commerce began a concerted effort to improve the city’s approach to conventions and tourism. In cooperation with hotels, restaurants, and other businesses, the Chamber created the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Council (GHCVC). Though the GHCVC formed in 1962, the organization did not officially begin to operate until the following year. At the outset, the Chamber supplied the Council with staff and requested for the International Association of Convention Bureaus to transfer its membership to the newly created group. The transfer took place on June 1, 1963 yet the Chamber of Commerce provided literature and continued its Convention and Tourism Committees through the end of the year.
Later, under CEO Don Vaughn, in an effort to keep with other tourist organizations around the country, a proposal was introduced to change the name of the GHCVC. The original plan dropped the “greater” and “council” leaving the name of the organization as Houston Convention and Visitor Bureau. Yet after great debate the compromise merely changed “Council” to “Bureau” leaving the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau we know today.
University of Houston Libraries Special Collections MD Anderson Library 4333 University Drive
Paddock Greater Houston Convention & Visitors Council Records. Special Collections, University of Houston Libraries. To cite a specific item from this collection, please consult the most recent edition of your style manual for the proper formatting. See the Citing Special Collections Materials page for more information. https://findingaids.lib.uh.edu/repositories/2/resources/271 Accessed October 26, 2020.